Well, we're back from Chicago. We took the train in and it was really nice, much more spacious and cleaner than the airplane. I was struck a bit by the lack of security, I remember some comedian saying, "Amtrak, for people who want to travel with pot." We could have easily brought drugs, a gun, live chickens, a missile or foreign born child labourers and I don't think anyone would have noticed.


It was husband's first trip so we did all sorts of touristy things, museums, Navy Pier, and more. My favourite hands down was a Chicago River boat tour of the rich architectural history of the city. I think my husband's favourite was the Chicago style deep dish pizza we had at Giordano's, mmmm cheese.


We ended up at Giordano's after I dragged the man to an awful "sushi" restaurant that looked great from our river boat view. I thought it would be nice to sit outside by the river,watch the boats go by and eat high end Japanese food. From the river I saw black wrought iron patio furniture, dark crimson awnings and a very nice sign.


Up close, the furniture was plastic, as was the tableware, and the menu was flimsy copy paper stained with their various offerings. I asked for an Arnold Palmer(lemonade and ice tea) and got a bottle of Brisk, a bottle of Country Time(neither one of them really tea or lemonade) and a plastic cup.


Then there was the menu. First tip, don't ever eat sushi at a restaurant that will not make it to order. Also don't eat sushi at a restaurant that features mozzarella cigars, chicken breast salads with bacon and bleu cheese, fish and chip sandwiches, and a southwestern tri-tip salad. Better yet, don't eat anything at a restaurant that has such variety it's clear they don't know who they are, it's a pretty good guarantee the food will be shit.


So we finished our cups of high fructose corn-syrup and moved on to Giordano's, it was a smart move. Good pizza, good salad, good beer. For the first time in a long time, we slept in until 9am, it was a real treat but we are glad to get back to the kids, right?


Stumble Upon Toolbar

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said... July 8, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

I think that maybe rule number one would be not to eat Sushi when your 1,000 miles away from the nearest ocean. That being said, I used to eat a lot of sushi in Missouri, so just ignore me. I'll go and sit quietly in the corner.

formerly fun said... July 9, 2008 at 8:02 PM  

Yes, I think that's a great rule, I forget sometimes because we're pretty spoiled in SoCal.

It's a good thing we walked all day because I think eat piece of stuffed pizza had about a 1/2 of a block of cheese in it.

Post a Comment

Ajax CommentLuv Enabled fc364964f7fd2cca9729ec8fc1ef9641